Friday, December 16, 2011

By the river, one winter night

On a mild winter sleepy night,
I was alone by the river bank,
The fading din from the road behind,
Greeting the lights from the shore afar.

The velvet blanket of cold dark black,
Hung from the trees all around,
The mild rustling winds above,
Reminded me of Celtic sounds.

In their vain attempts to touch my feet,
Shimmering cones from the shore infront,
Cast glistening streaks on the river alive,
Reminding of memories lost deep beneath.

Losing myself in the surreal show,
As time slowed down to the river's flow,
The cold air binding my body tight,
But the mind still agile, awake to fight.

It was then that I saw it first,
A string of glowing orbs float by,
Ever slowly up the silver stream,
A string of boats through the river's heart.

A necklace carelessly set afloat,
The small glowing lantern orbs,
Pierced the flow with gentle strokes,
It was indeed a dream to behold.

One of the boats broke from the pack,
And slowly paddled up to me,
"Where art thou headed?" I asked,
"To search Fairies afar", said the gentle smile.

He offered me an empty seat,
With a silent wave of his firm hand,
And I kept staring back and forth,
From the glowing pearls to the seat in front.

It had taken me a while to say,
But I passed his offer with a polite no,
It was tempting indeed, I must say,
But it was not my time to ride and go.

The din from the streets behind,
Beckoned me back from the mystical bank,
And as I saw them drift away, I said,
I will return someday, to join the search.

No comments: