On the bridge of Ni Mahlia,
Where we had first met,
Through moist river breeze,
Our eyes were frozen set.
Water gushed down below,
As we stood there still,
Amongst the gathered folks,
Watching fireworks by the mill.
Each tiny burst of light,
Gave a glimpse of your smile,
My stone walls did melt,
Under your eyes of Nile.
And yet today I tremble,
As I clutch my wet gun,
Tiny lights do burst,
Where enemy fire burn.
On the bridge we few lay,
To hold it unto dawn,
Till the cavalry come to aid,
Till the last enemy is gone.
Then we will jaunt back,
To our homeland free,
To your soft unsullied smile,
Under the chestnut tree.
Where we had first met,
Through moist river breeze,
Our eyes were frozen set.
Water gushed down below,
As we stood there still,
Amongst the gathered folks,
Watching fireworks by the mill.
Each tiny burst of light,
Gave a glimpse of your smile,
My stone walls did melt,
Under your eyes of Nile.
And yet today I tremble,
As I clutch my wet gun,
Tiny lights do burst,
Where enemy fire burn.
On the bridge we few lay,
To hold it unto dawn,
Till the cavalry come to aid,
Till the last enemy is gone.
Then we will jaunt back,
To our homeland free,
To your soft unsullied smile,
Under the chestnut tree.
In part inspired by the Irish song Brid Og Ni Mhaille by Corrs. I had always imagined it to be a sad tale about some encounter on a bridge. It turned out to be a melancholic song about a guy's lost love who married another man. I then took it to pen what I felt the song had been on :)
No comments:
Post a Comment